My name is Xah Lee. I use Emacs, and have since 1997, live in emacs daily since 1998, and love it.
I have some emacs and elisp tutorial here:
* [[http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs.html Xah's Emacs Tutorial]]
* [[http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp.html Xah's Emacs Lisp Tutorial]]
Here's some elisp code i wrote:
* [[http://ergoemacs.org/ ErgoEmacs]]. A emacs distribution, together with [[http://www.davidcapello.com.ar/ David Capello]].
* [[http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html ErgoEmacs Keybinding]]. A emacs keybinding set based on ergonomics.
* [[http://xahlee.org/emacs/unicode-browser.html Unicode Browser mode (xub-mode)]]. For browsing unicode character palette.
* [[http://xahlee.org/emacs/xbbcode-mode.html BBCode mode (xbbcode-mode)]]. For editing lighweight markup BBCode. Emacswiki page here: [[BbCode]]
* [[http://xahlee.org/mswin/emacs_autohotkey_mode.html AutoHotkey mode (xahk-mode)]] A mode for editing AutoHotkey script.
* [[http://code.google.com/p/lsl-mode/ LSL mode (xlsl-mode)]]. A mode for editing Linden Scripting Language. Emacswiki page here: [[LSLMode]]
* [[http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_idiom_templates.html emacs lisp yasnippet templates]]. A collection of 105 yasnippet templates for coding emacs lisp.
I am a mild supporter of FSF/GNU. I urge programers to take a class in college on sociology, economics, history, philosophy.
Most Open Source or FSF proponents are youngsters who's got nothing to loose, and “freedom” is just their execuse to advance their self interests. Freedom fighters are almost always losers to begin with, and invariably they are the primary beneficiary of the “freedom” they clamour. When you are poor, student, no ability or interest in business, then, you are likely to love opinions advanced by orgnization such as FSF, e.g. no patent, open source. But if you do have business abilities, have commercially valuable software, have patents, you are not likely to believe in FSF's ideas. Most FSF fans are just another a form egocentric [[http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/hackernews_xahleeorg_politics.html politcal struggle]]. This is nothing unusual when looking at the history of human animals. (e.g. most political upheavals, revolutions, are started by youngsters or the mob who have not much to lose).
Also note, Richard Stallman's “Free” software, is just one philosophy on software's distribution and use, among a few. There are 2 aspects that he abused the word “free”. (1) hijacking it to mean freedom, instead of the more popular sense of no price tag. (e.g. software that are given out for free is now given the shady term freeware, while software of FSF's ideal gets a better term “Free Software”.) (2) He uses the word “free” in his talks ostensibly to mean the concept of Freedom in the context of human rights. But FSF's philosophy on software use as freedom is really just a point of view. Most people, or even me or intellectuals, when using Apple, Microsoft, Goole products, or any software that does not come with source code, do not believe we are loosing freedom in general. (PS: also, today's pop concept of “Human Rights” itself is just one school of thought in moral philosophy, not necessary the best with regards for a properous human community.)
Some essays related to Open Source and IT industry:
* [[http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/mshatred155.html On Microsoft Hatred]]
* [[http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/responsible_license.html Responsible Licensing]]
* [[http://xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/_p2/russell-lecture.html What Desires are Politically Important?]] (by Bertrand Russell)
Some essay about problems of emacswiki:
* [[http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_wiki_problem.html Problems of Emacswiki]]
Thanks for Alex Schroeder for starting emacswiki, and thanks for visiting my page on emacswiki!
== Comments ==
Hi, Xah. Wondered if that was really you, based on the initial post. This update removes any doubt --ChristopherSmith. ;)
: Greetings, comrade. —Xah
Xah has also been a well known troll on various comp.lang.* newsgroups and played in the same league as ErikNaggum.
Just browse some older stuff in the [http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=fuck&as_ugroup=comp.lang.*&as_uauthors=xah+lee&safe=off Usenet archives]. -- AlexSchroeder
Older? Xah remains trollific in the present tense, as a glance at comp.lang.python reveals. Use of emacs reveals Xah isn't completely bad, no? --ChristopherSmith
: dear Christopher, by the way, i left a reply on your page about the naming of Mac OS X. However, some [self-censored] went ahead and deleted it. I don't think he asked you before hand. It is not even his [self-censored] business. Sometimes i wonder, if we should forgive these younsters. But then, just because one has bad childhood doesn't obliterate all a psychopath's crimes. It is behaviors like these, that pains me. —Xah
::: Thanks for the pointer--I restored your remark. As Zappa so eloquently put it, "Censorship is like treating dandruff through decapitation". Though if I could recommend a book to you, Sun Tzu makes some excellent points about non-frontal assaults, and I feel that the points you make in various fora would have more impact if they hit from the flank more often than square-on. ;) --ChristopherSmith
I'd prefer decent language on the wiki. -- AlexSchroeder
: Alex, was it you who censored my post before? why don't you just say so? because it seems anonymous, and more than just four-letter words are deleted.—Xah
Nope, it wasn't me. I sure agree with the sentiment, however. :) -- AlexSchroeder
: OK. Thanks for the note. —Xah
Note to Alex Schroeder: This page doesn't validate, apparantly because of the «dl» tag. —Xah Lee, 2006-08-30
You might want to change "youngsters who’s got nothing to loose" to "youngsters who've got nothing to lose". I am not
being critical, just trying to be helpful. I'm guessing that English is not your first language.